ST PETER’S PARISH MULTIPURPOSE SPACE | SFS ARCHITECTURE
AWARDS IIDA MID AMERICA DESIGN AWARDS | CIVIC & GOVERNMENT | GOLD /2018
DESIGN ARCHITECT SFS ARCHITECTURE | KANSAS CITY MISSOURI OWNER ST. PETER’S PARISH /DIOCESE OF KANSAS CITY - ST JOSEPH CONTRACTOR FOGEL ANDERSON CONSTRUCTION STRUCTURAL ENGINEER STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING ASSOCIATES MEP ENGINEER BGR ENGINEERING CIVIL ENGINEER SK DESIGN GROUP LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT CONFLUENCE AV + ACOUSTICS AVANT ACOUSTICS
LOCATION KANSAS CITY MISSOURI SQUARE FOOTAGE 2,900 SF OPENED 2018 PHOTOGRAPHY MICHAEL ROBINSON PHOTOGRAPHY + AARON DOUGHERTY PHOTOGRAPHY
St. Peter’s Parish tasked the design team to expand the church with a new multipurpose space to connect their historic 1928 classroom building and 1943 church building. The design concept for the multipurpose space was born out of the project team’s desire to preserve the architectural integrity of the original design. Great care was taken to conceive a design solution that respected the past and looked to the future.
Activating the underutilized gap between the historic school and church structures is the new 2,900 SF Multipurpose Space. Distinct in its simple language of structural silicone glazed curtain wall, concrete columns, and timber roof structure, the addition is intended to be as transparent as possible and defer to and visually link the existing stone structures, providing new interior gathering space that serves students, educators, and parishioners alike.
With glazed curtain walls and existing building facade defining the interior space, the design team chose to select interior finish materials that would not detract from the original stone archways and stained glass. The stain selected for the timber ceiling system is intended to complement the natural variation in the stonework, and also display a sense of warmth and familiarity. New structural columns are deliberately left uncovered: smooth, raw concrete. This further allows all the components of structure to be set on display – a sort of contemporary ornamentation.
Large format porcelain tile with minimal pattern was selected to defer to the original stone façade details. Flush-mounted floor boxes hold power and data to accommodate a multitude of room layouts in order for the church to host a variety of different events. On very sunny days, motorized shades drop down to protect users from direct sun and glare, also helpful to darken the room for video presentations.
A coffee bar is tucked between the existing large bay window of the classroom building, and a new accessible entrance. Custom millwork matches the wood tone of the timber ceiling, and a solid white quartz countertop provides a clean and simple setting for morning coffee accoutrement or after school snacks.
Long vertical pendant light fixtures drop from the wood ceiling and serve to draw your eye to the volume of space that is created between the two existing buildings. When lit in the evening, the fixtures create a warm glowing box, which can be seen from the adjacent boulevard. These fixtures are dimmable, to adjust lighting levels for different events.
With the completion of this multipurpose space, St. Peter’s Parish now has an accessible interstitial space for parishioners and students to gather that, through its design, honors its past, and warmly greets the future.