LOCATION KANSAS CITY MISSOURI SQUARE FOOTAGE 7,615 SF OPENED 2018 PHOTOGRAPHY KELLY CALLEWAERT / BNIM
Jacob’s Well, a thriving creative church community located in the heart of midtown Kansas City, Missouri, had outgrown their beloved building, constructed in 1930 by Roanoke Presbyterian Church. To better support the mission of the church, an addition to the existing building was designed that acknowledges today’s congregation and their need for more diverse spaces.
The design was shaped by three themes: hospitality, spiritual formation, and community engagement. A new commons creates a space for gathering before and after Sunday services, in addition to being used for various educational programming and special functions. The project also includes new flexible working and meeting spaces and a space dedicated to youth education.
The addition is delicately joined to the existing building by a glass-enclosed link that allows for a visual relationship between exterior courtyards on each of its sides. Direct access to the link at grade creates a wheelchair accessible path to the new elevator, which connects all three levels of the existing building and addition, solving a major issue common to buildings of this era.
Sensitively scaled to the surrounding residential community and strategically placed on the site in proximity to its neighbors, the addition creates a better connection to the neighborhood. The shingled slate siding and other materials are reflective of the residential setting and take simple detailing cues from the existing church building. Accommodations for a future roof garden and terrace will provide an opportunity for an outdoor staff break area and small gatherings. Sliding glass doors open the commons to the exterior front patio and vegetated amphitheater, creating a new welcoming front door to the church.